A Poppy
A Poppy

Memorials & Monuments
on the Isle of Wight
- Biography -
- Kenneth Gordon Garnett -

K G Garnett Name :

Son of : Dr William Garnett and Rebecca Garnett (née Samways), at some time of Seaview, Isle of Wight.

Born : 30 July 1892, Tynemouth, Northumberland.
  Census information :

1901 : not located

1911 : Visitor, aged 19, at the Waller household, 32 Grove End Road, London. He is described as a School boy at this time.

  Service Details :

Lieut. Kenneth Gordon Garnett, M.C., Royal Field Artillery. Previously served in the Royal Navy.
Casualty Details :

Died : 22 August 1917, aged 35, at Roehampton Hospital, of wounds received in action.

Buried at : Wandsworth (Putney Vale) Cemetery, London.

CWGC Record
  Commemorated on these Isle of Wight Memorials :

Seaview War Memorial as KENNETH GARNETT

Seaview St Peter's Church War Memorial as KENNETH GARNETT

St Helens War Memorial as K G GARNETT, LT, R.F.A.

He is also commemorated (with his brother William Hubert Stuart Garnett) on the Chailey Heritage School Memorial, although the connection with this institution is not clear.
  Photo Gallery :

Image from de Ruvigny's Roll of Honour

Memorial plaque at Chailey Heritage School, East Sussex
Image from Ian Seccombe
  Documents and Newspaper cuttings :

The Times 22 August 1917

LIEUTENANT KENNETH GORDON GARNETT, M.C., R.F.A., who died of wounds on the 21st inst. after a year's illness, was the son of Dr. William Garnett and Mrs Garnett, of Hampstead. He was educated at St Paul's School and Trinity College, Cambridge. In 1914 he rowed No 5 in the Cambridge winning eight, and also rowed for Leander in the same year. On the outbreak of war he and several of his Cambridge friends joined the crew of the Zarepha, of which his brother, the late Lieutenant Stuart Garnett, was lieutenant-commander. For five months he was engaged in the adventurous work of mine-sweeping. Then in January, 1915, he entered the Royal Field Artillery, and in the following month went out to France. In March he was shot in the leg, and returned home. When convalescent he went up to Cambridge and completed his honours degree course successfully, though still on crutches. He was offered three home billets, but declined them, as (to use his own words) he did not wish to stay at home and let a married man fight for him. Returning to the front in October, 1915, he worked with his battery for 10 months. He was wounded in the spine on August 24, 1916, and for the past year has been nursed at the Empire Hospital, Vincent-square, and latterly at Templeton House, Roehampton. He was awarded the Military Cross and received his decoration from the King a few weeks ago, while at the Empire Hospital. He also received the Croix de Guerre from the French Government.
  Links :

Chailey Heritage School
  Acknowledgments :

Ian Seccombe for Chailey Heritage School material.
  Page status :
Page last updated : 21 September 2016 (reformatted)


Site designed by Community Internet Services