A Poppy
A Poppy

Memorials & Monuments
on the Isle of Wight
- Biography -
- James Steward Woodin -

James Steward Woodin :

Son of : Rev. Stanley Hassall Woodin and Maud Harriett Woodin (née Clarke).

Born : 19 August 1912, Hartley Wintney, Hampshire

Married : 1939, Angela Mary Perks (registered Acle, Norfolk, Sep 1939 qtr)
  Service Details :

Lieutenant 17739 James Steward Woodin, Hampshire Regiment, attd. 2nd Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers.
Casualty Details :

Died : 5 Dec 1943

Buried at : Padua War Cemetery, Italy

CWGC Record
  Commemorated on these Isle of Wight Memorials :

Yarmouth War Memorial
  Photo Gallery :

J S Woodin pictured at Lancing College. Photo courtesy of John Hamblin. Click on thumbnail for larger image
  Documents and Newspaper cuttings :

James Steward Woodin was born in Hampshire on the 19th August 1912 the younger son of the Reverend Stanley H. Woodin MA, Rector of Yarmouth, and Maud (née Clarke) Woodin of The Rectory, Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight.
He was educated at Lancing College where he was in Sandersons House from January 1926 to July 1929. He was Captain of the Sandersons House Cricket XI.
He was married in 1939 in Norfolk to Angela Mary Perks and they lived in Norwich.
He attended an Officer Training Unit before being commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Hampshire Regiment on the 15th of March 1941. He was later attached to the 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers.
On the evening of 23rd October 1943, the 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers was in positions on the Calione ridge, just to the south of the Trigno river. The only bridge across the river had been blown and the Royal Engineers were tasked with constructing a crossing. On the 24th October A Company of the Lancashire Fusiliers crossed the Grigho River to establish a bridgehead and allow the engineers to work unmolested.
On the 25th October it was decided that while A Company held the bridgehead B and C Companies would move through them and attack San Salvo railway station.
By 10.30 pm A Company had completed their task with four casualties and the other two companies moved forward to attack the railway station. As they approached it the leading platoon came under "friendly fire", lost contact with battalion and were all killed wounded or captured. It was decided to regroup and attempt to attack the railway station the following night, the 26th.
Before the attack was to be repeated a strong fighting patrol under James Woodin was sent forward at last light to cover adjustments which were being made to the battalion's positions. At a farm the patrol became engaged in a heavy fire fight with enemy troops during which Woodin was wounded and captured.
He died of his wounds as a prisoner of war the following December.
San Salvo finally fell on the 4th of November 1943.
  Acknowledgments :

John Hamblin for photo and biography
  Page status :
Page last updated : 30 May 2016 (added to website)


Site designed by Community Internet Services