A Poppy
A Poppy

Memorials & Monuments
on the Isle of Wight
- East Cowes -
- H M S Cavalier Memorial -

Location

Esplanade, East Cowes, Isle of Wight
 
See map on www.streetmap.co.uk
 
IWM War Memorials Archive Record

Link : War Memorials Archive Reference 21805
 
Description

A propellor from HMS Cavalier, mounted on a brick plinth, with a display board giving its history.

Unveiled by Rear Admiral J Hervey C.B., O.B.E. and Councillor Mrs M O Stolworthy B.A. 27th May 1995.
There is also a small plaque on the adjoining brick flower beds in memory of those who lost their life in WW II.
Memorial

East Cowes : H M S Cavalier Memorial
 
East Cowes : H M S Cavalier Memorial
 
East Cowes : H M S Cavalier Memorial
 
East Cowes : H M S Cavalier Painting
 
East Cowes : Air Raids plaque
 
Inscription


This propellor which came from H.M.S. Cavalier
was donated to the people of EAST COWES by SOUTHERN WATER

The H.M.S. Cavalier Association has presented this memorial in recognition of the shipbuilders
of J. Samuel White and the sailors who gave their lives for their country.

The propellor and memorial garden was unveiled jointly by
Rear Admiral J Hervey C.B., O.B.E. and Councillor Mrs M O Stolworthy B.A.
this day 27 May 1995.


 

In memory of those who
lost their lives in air raids
on this town.
1939 - 1945


 
Further Information

H.M.S. Cavalier

She was built in East Cowes by White's. H.M.S. Cavalier is the last remaining World War II Royal Navy destroyer.

This propellor came from her and was erected in the town by Southern Water at the completion of their drainage works here in 1994.

The H.M.S. Cavalier was built in East Cowes by J.S. White's. The keel was laid down on February 28th 1943 and she was launched on April 7th 1944. Then she went to West Cowes for fitting out and was handed over to the Navy on 22nd November 1944. She took part in Navy wartime operations in the Arctic in 1945.

After commissions all over the world, she was laid up in 1971, and finally sold to the Cavalier Trust in 1977. They displayed her at Southampton and Brighton before South Tyneside Council bought her in 1987. In 1994 she was drydocked at Hebburn with limited access to the public.

-----

Ships have been constructed at East Cowes for many years.

On the Admiralty Chart of 1783 "2 Building Slips for Men of War" are shown. There is a Rope Works shown near to the site of the Cavalier propellor today.

As far back as 1696 Nye's yard in East Cowes produced a 32 gun battleship, H.M.S. Poole, for the Navy, the first of several vessels. In 1748, H.M.S. Vanguard was launched into the Medina from Nye's yard. This was their largest to date.

In 1802 Thomas White moved here from his father's shipyard in Broadstairs in Kent, and bought Nye's Yard. White's continued the tradition and built many fine ships and boats of all sizes until the yard closed in 1965.

During the first World War White's built 33 destroyers, and other large Navy ships (and two submarines). 23 destroyers were built during World War II.

More information on shipbuilding in East Cowes is available at the Heritage Centre Clarence Road. Garden seat, lighting and information board made possible by a Rural Action grant to the Cavalier Association.


 


 
 

 
Site designed by Community Internet Services