Memorials & Monuments
on the Isle of Wight
- Cowes : Ark and Dove Memorial 1 -

Location

In the shelter at The Parade, Cowes, Isle of Wight
 
See map on www.streetmap.co.uk
 
Description

Metal memorial plaque, erected 1933 to mark 300th anniversary of the sailing of the "Ark" and the "Dove" to the Americas.

See also the Memorial plaque erected in 1983.
Memorial


 


Above is a photo taken in 1933 showing Simpson Charles Wadham as chairman of Cowes Urban District Council looking at a plaque erected on Cowes Parade commemorating 300 years since the sailing of the Ark & the Dove from Cowes to Maryland in the USA. The lady with him is Miss Magruder a direct descendant of John Biscoe who was an original settler.

Photo courtesy of Barry Groves

click on images to enlarge
Inscription


On the 22nd day of November AD 1633
Leonard Calvert
brother of Cecil Calvert, Baron of
Baltimore, with his co-adventurers,
set sail from this port in the Ark and
the Dove to establish in America the
Palatinate of Maryland, under a charter
granted by the King of England, which
conferred upon the people of Maryland
all the Rights of Englishmen, to be theirs
in perpetuity - Rights which the people
of Maryland have ever cherished as their
greatest, most valued heritage.

Upon the site, granted by the Cowes
Urban District Council to the Society of the
Ark and the Dove this tablet is erected,
November 22, 1933.
The State of Maryland.



 
 

 
Site designed by Community Internet Services